so i have come to a realization.
i just don't get most new rock music. indie rock. you know. the stuff all the "cool kids" listen to. i buy CD's, i listen to them, because people "in the know" tell me they are great. i try to like them, i really do....but i don't. i think they suck. but i keep listening, hoping i will see what all the fuss is about. usually, i never do.
so i have come to this......i just don't care. i don't give a crap what the "cool kids" think is good music. i don't want to hear some melodramatic middle-class kid from the 'burbs sing off-pitch about his sad life, over a poorly strummed guitar. i don't want to try to decipher some inane lyrics that turn out to be about basically nothing. i am not interested in 50 albums, one for each state. i don't want to listen to music i have to try to like.
maybe i am just getting old, but life is too short to not have music around you that you enjoy. so if you are one of those cool kids, and you get near my desk, or car, you will probably hear something that sounds like it came from from before you were born. it might have. or it may be some newer artist who makes music i like. i won't try to convert you to listening to waylon, or son volt, or ben harper, or cross canadian ragweed (though you really should check them out). so don't bother me with the white stripes, killers, gorillaz, or that uber-annoying sufjan stevens. i don't want to hear them.
so let it be written, so let it be done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Man I can't believe you lump Sufjan Stevens in that list of crappy artists. You wound me man. I do agree with you though. Life's too short to listen to crappy music. But I like both the Indie rock and Alt Country stuff so am I a "cool kid" or an old fart? :)
I am of the opinion that all art is subjective. And at the end of the day "If it sounds good to you, it is good". But that said have found for myself that there are many albums that I have had to give many tries before I really liked them. But mostly the stuff I like is just the stuff I like, most of it probably falls generally into the indie category. But I have always prefered dissonance, minor chords, obtuse lyrics and non-symmetric songwriting far more than you.
3 chords and the truth, rob. that's all you need.
and maybe a red guitar.
i meant robi......not rob. though i suppose it could apply to rob, as well.
Yes except I would prefer a green guitar. Or maybe blue.
I have never even heard of any of the artist you mentioned.....maybe Waylon but, I'm not sure if we are talking about the same one and I am by no means "old" maybe a little sheltered but, certainly not old. I do have a Red guitar though
Larry, I have decided you are right about this... you are too old. ;)
I've been telling you for years now that you're ancient. I'm glad you've finally accepted it. I'll be looking for gray hair next time I see you.
carrie..yes. that waylon.
kelly.. i will never have gray hair.
robi.. some of us leave college before age 30. you're still there, with gray hair.
touche, my friend
Post a Comment