so here we are......thanksgiving is upon us, when we will eat too much, without really being thankful that we have so much to eat.....we will fellowship with family....without really being thankful that they are here to fellowship with....at least this is the usual way.....maybe this will remind us all to be thankful.......
which brings us to christmas......happy times, right? then why is there that statistic about more suicides at christmas than any other time of the year? maybe it's the $1000's spent on it? the maxed out credit cards? the pain of NOT being able to get something someone wants? i don't know, but it seems awfully screwed up to me.....my sister is about to go spend $150 (on sale) for a plastic tree....people are spending $2500 on ebay for the new xbox.... does anyone else see something wrong here?
don't get me wrong....i am not AGAINST trees, or gifts, or eating (lord knows), what i am against is that that is all it is about now. look at the name......christmas....literally, christ mass, or mass for christ.....a time to celebrate the birth of christ......even for those to whom, that is not as important (not many of my readers, i know) i wish it could be a time of being with, and loving our friends and family... i am just sick of it all.....
on a slightly different note, while i am still pretty much pro- the war in iraq, i am very anti- my brother-in-law being there. i know that's weird, coming from me....he is doing his duty, and i love him for doing it (and would if he hadn't)....but i am ready for him to be home with my sister and their beautiful children.....that's all i want for christmas this year......
so let it be written, so let it be done
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Well, I was going to get all defensive about the tree... afterall, I do plan on it lasting us many years like the ancient one our family has owned forever now, which makes it a bargain. But then, the last paragraph, well, I just can't even be annoyed about you saying rude things about my tree when you say such nice things about us. Thank you. Its certainly at the top of our wish - list too. Lets just hope the Army keeps cooperating and gets him home when they're saying they will.
i am annoyed there is even such a thing as a $150 tree.....don't take it personally....
i love you guys.
WOW! Larry, you have got to be one of THE COOLEST GUYS I KNOW! I also agree on all the reasons we are in Iraq however, I don't like the idea of anyone I know being there and although I don't really "know" Michael, I feel like I do and I don't like it at all that he's there - Kelly, you guys are in my prayers (yes, Larry, I pray)- Larry, are you coming home for Thanksgiving? we are having a GA party Saturday night and you are invited -
But its 7.5 ft and prelit and preshaped!
Hey, I thought about this post when I saw this link in another blog - http://www.oxfamunwrapped.com.au/ you can see her entry about it at www.veg4me.typepad.com
I don't have a problem with expensive trees and video games. What bugs be is that Bibles cost $80! But I guess thats a different rant. Hi Larry!
you feeling o.k. today?
Post a Comment